Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Seafaring Imagery Part 3 - Shipping Up to Boston - Dropkick Murphys

Not for the faint of heart, two minutes of ridiculous rock-and-roll-ness...

Someone from a YouTube video comment says it well: "This song makes me want to grow a beard, rip off my shirt and bare knuckle box a timberwolf."


Shipping Up To Boston by Dropkick Murphys on Grooveshark

Lyrics:
I'm a sailor peg
And I've lost my leg
I've climbed up the top sails
I've lost my leg

I'm shipping up to Boston...repeat alot...to find my wooden leg

Notes: 
In my five minutes of internet research to prepare for this blog post, I discovered:
  1. I've been belting out this song at the top of my lungs in the car (aka - minivan) incorrectly for years.  I thought that the initial lyric was "I'm a sailor in pain...".  ...Which I have to say, I sort-of prefer.  Although, I respect Woodie Guthrie (see next point).
  2. I had no idea that Woodie Guthrie wrote this fine bit of poetry (per Wikipedia).  That's what the golden age of internet-music / non-liner-notes music gets you...

No comments: