Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Seafaring Imagery Part 2 - "The Seafarer"

One of my favorite poems...

The Seafarer
Anonymous
Translated by Margaret Williams
from A Sacrifice of Praise

Full little he thinks     who has life's joy
and dwells in cities     and has few disasters,
proud and wine-flushed,     how I, weary often,
must bide my time     on the brimming stream.
Night-shades darken,     it snows from the north,
frost binds the ground,     hail falls on the earth,
the coldest corn.     For this my heart-thoughts
are knocking now,     for I must set out
on the high streams,     the rolling salt-waves.
Hour by hour     my heart's lust urges
my spirit to go forth,     that far from here
I may seek a land     of strange people.
There is no one so proud     among earth's men,
nor so gifted with goods     nor so bold in youth,
nor so brave in deeds,     with a lord dear to him
that he has not sorrow     in his sea-faring--
too little the Lord     will do for him.
He thinks not of the harp     nor of ring-giving
nor of the joy of a woman,     nor of the world's hope,
nor of ought else save the     roll of the waves;
But ever he feels longing,      who goes on the waters.
The woods have bright blossoms,     the burghs are fair,
plains gleam with loveliness,     the world full of life;
all these urge on     the eager heart
to go journeying,     for the man who thinks
to go afar     on the flood-ways.
And the cuckoo warns     with wailing voice;
summer's guardian sings,     telling the sorrow
bitter in its breast-hoard.     The man who is well off
knows but little     of what they endure
who go in exile     the farthest away.
So my thought wanders     over my heart treasures,
my inner spirit goes     over the sea-flood,
over the whale's home,     wanders away
on the earth's face.     It comes back to me
hungry and greedy;     the lone flier cries,
urges unceasing     the heart to roam
on the whale-way     of the wide waters,
the broad streams.     Thus the joys of the Lord
are hotter within me     than this dead life
passing over the land.     I do not believe
that the wealth of the earth      will stand forever.

No comments: