Sunday, September 16, 2007

Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit

I can't get enough of Belle and Sebastian's latest album The Life Pursuit. It has a more polished sound than some of their earlier albums. The "Indy" sound for the sake of being indy doesn't do much for me (not that their preceding albums totally did that)....this album has a smooth sound which makes it very easy to listen to. It also has (for lack of a better word) a groove that keeps things optimistic and peppy as they flirt with several different styles of music while still keeping their album coherent.


Best of all the album has lyrics that use quirky stories to deliver their punch. Probably best suited to the previous musical themes I've posted here is Act of the Apostle I & II, which chronicle a person who is interested in believing in God, but not quite there yet.

My favorite has to be The Blues are Still Blue which (I think) is a love song about a lazy lover who doesn't quite put enough effort into life to keep the blues away. No matter what it's about, it's a toe-tapper...

Well, look at the kid from school
He's teaching mamas and papas how to be a little cool
He's changing fashion, the way he dress
The tracksuits are old, and the hoody's way too moody
For a kid with the will to funk
He dances in secret; he's a part-time punk



2 comments:

Patrick said...

I was really hoping he would catch something besides a white guy in scuba gear. Probably as disappointed as I have been all month.

Joshua said...

...no kidding. I was also hoping for more distance from the human cannonball.

It's weird that people actually read this stuff...