Friday, December 6, 2013

A couple poems - Adelia Prado & Maurice Manning

Here is a poem and an excerpt from a poem that I came across yesterday.  I think I like both of them...

Before Names 
by Adelia Prado
I don’t care about the word, that commonplace.
What I want is the grand chaos that spins out syntax,
the obscure birthplace of "of," "otherwise,"
"nevertheless," and "how," all those inscrutable
crutches I walk on.
Who understands language understands God,
Whose Son is the Word. It kills you to understand.
Words only hide something deeper, deaf and dumb,
something invented to be silenced.
In moments of grace, rare as they are,
you'll be able to snatch it out: a live fish
in your bare hand.
Pure terror.

----------
The Nature of Things
by Maurice Manning
...Do Lord, O, do you remember?
I've asked and asked again, and Yes
has always been the answer, Yes
unsaid, but even the unsaid says;
the answer needs the question...

No comments: