Saturday, January 24, 2009

Teddy

I was going through some papers today and found these two quotes that I used to have taped to something...I think my computer. I did a search to see where they came from and found out that the first quote is one of the "three most requested quotes" from theodoreroosevelt.org. So, I guess I'm not unique in enjoying it...

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

- Theodore Roosevelt
"Citizenship in a Republic,"
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

---

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."

- Theodore Roosevelt
"The Strenuous Life"

4 comments:

Brett said...

See? Now you know why I love this guy...

S.D. Smith said...

Stealed.

Joshua said...

Two comments...on the same post. It's been a while. ...luckily, only one is written in code.

Kevin Jack said...

#1- I confess my idiocy for having never read "Mermaids under the warf", assuming that it was another "mommy blog", and thus a threat to my very manhood. I am now corrected.

Love those quotes, now I'm gonna go sing Garth Brooks "The Dance" over and over.