Thursday, January 10, 2008

Worship

Here's a quote from Mr. D.A. Carson from the book he edited called Worship by the Book. In talking about corporate worship he says, "...however much we seek to be contemporary for the sake of evangelistic outreach, there must also be a drive in us to align ourselves with the whole church in some deeply rooted and tangible ways. What it means to be the church was not invented in the last twenty years. The demands of corporate rootedness must be melded with the demands of living faithfully and bearing witness in a particular culture and age." (pg 45)

I think I used to picture an incredible corporate worship experience as a moment when I became so lost in the words and music of what I was singing that I lost all reference of those around me and just felt close to God...just me and Him. I don't want to downplay that idea too much, but there does seem to be something about it that defeats the purpose of being together corporately. I think corporate worship might be as difficult and as rewarding as pretty much everything else in my life that is both difficult and rewarding. It's difficult because I'm doing several things at once. I've focused on my attention toward God and the words that point me to him...but, I'm also aware of the people I'm encouraging with my participation...I'm aware of the people encouraging me...I'm aware of the church through history...I'm aware of the persecuted church of today...other cultures worshiping Christ...and, all of this...this accumulation of fellow worshipers causes me to further my awe of God and this time of worship becomes even deeper.

I'm sure this is simplistic. But, it's a side of the coin I haven't thought much about until lately.

3 comments:

S.D. Smith said...

Excellent.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if our church's pastoral staff stumbled across that quote over the past few months. They just voted to combine the "traditional" and "contemporary" services into one service again. It's one of the many changes to take place in 2008. They said it was necessary for the generations to worship together: parents, grandparents, and children all represent the body of Christ, and dividing the body of Christ piecemeal is wrong.

I agree. I do get bored of hymns accompanied by the solo piano or organ, but the words of the hymns are still good, for the most part. (I dare anyone to not be stirred by O For A Thousand Tongues To Sing, All Hail The Power Of Jesus' Name, or Jesus Lover Of My Soul.) But it is possible to incorporate more instruments in the accompaniment for hymns that will lend it a pleasing sound to the younger generation but not destroy the rhythm familiar to the older members of the body of Christ.

gina said...

Good stuff.