Saturday, October 13, 2007

Little Miss Sunshine


We watched Little Miss Sunshine last night. I love (for the most part) the message of this movie. My take...feel free to provide your take...is that the movie is saying that most people's lives are like a child beauty pageant. We take our lives and dress them up with our screwed-up, self-centered ideas of perfection...and, in essence, create some sort of a freak show. In reality, we ought to be real about our problem filled lives, because everybody's lives are full of problems. The movie's answer to this issue seems to be that we should celebrate our troubled lives, without any emphasis on fixing the trouble. I think they're on to something...our lives are filled with hypocrisy and fraud (I was reminded of this just a few hours ago as my wife and I had a mini-fight in the back yard and all I could think of is "be quiet, so the neighbors don't hear")...however, there are answers to our problems. And, while we shouldn't pretend that we're perfect we should continue to address the problems.

Also, the second half of this movie is hilarious...the last scene of the movie is one of the funniest endings I've seen in a very long time. And, for those interested, this one definately deserves its R rating.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you hit it exactly. There are only two things I would add. 1) In order to survive this fallen world littered with broken lives you must have relationships. 2) "We have to let Olive be Olive." Probably the best quote in the movie. Be who you are, critics be damned.

Unknown said...

I agree totally. Watching it, I wished that I had that childhood vulnerability back. Now I just have adult vulnerability with cynicism.
The dance, yes, made the whole potty mouth movie worth while.