Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Coveting Prestige


I watched The Prestige this week. It's a movie about two rivaling magicians in the late 1800s. More than that, it's a study in obsession...perhaps the more specific word "coveting" could be used.

The movie shows that what you are obsessed with is what you become. And, what you covet you will never attain...because the thing that you want, the thing that looks appealing...the thing your imagination has already experienced (the warmth, the taste, the feel, the buzz)...that thing is never quite what you tricked yourself into believing it would be. That same trick of the mind is almost always transfered to something bigger and better, because there is always something bigger and better to obsess over and covet.

Movies like The Prestige are the true horror films, in my opinion. They're the movies that shine lights into the depths of what we are capable of. In other words, they're movies that show us the potential of our darkness.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to rewatch this film; it has perhaps one of the best endings I've ever seen, and I'm sure I missed a great many clues.

S.D. Smith said...

An excellent film and an astute comment. I also agree with you about the horror comment. I think most horror films are unwatchable because of the gratuitous nature of the gore. But this movie is horrific in it's ideas. But honestly depicted. I couldn't agree more.

patrick said...

Although I am surprised it took you this long to watch this movie, I couldn't agree more in regards to the content of the movie. I love movies that challenge psychologically, and I especially love movies that scare me, rather than gross me out.