Saturday, July 21, 2007

Christian Music

The distinction between "Christian music" and "secular music" is truly an unhelpful one. A couple exceptions (people who do find it helpful): the Christian music industry, parents who don't want to be involved in their children's culture...these are stereotypes, I'm sure, but I think there's something there. These three lyrics came to mind this morning as I was thinking of some songs that contain honest reflections of the world.

We spend all day getting sober
Just hiding from daylight
Watching TV
We just look a lot better in the blue light
Well, you know I gotta get out
Bit I'm suck so tight
Weighed by the chains that keep me...

And this girl listens to the band play
She says "where have you been?
I've been lying right here on the floor"
Well, I got all this time
To be waiting for what is mine
To be hating what I am
After the light has faded

- Adam Duritz

I ain't never been to Vegas but I gambled up my life
Building newsprint boats I raced to sewer mains
Was trying to find me something but I wasn't sure just what
Funny how they say that some things never change

- Ryan Adams

In the garden at Gethsemane
He prayed for the life he'd never live,
He beseeched his Heavenly Father to remove
The cup of death from his lips

Now there's a loss that can never be replaced,
A destination that can never be reached,
A light you'll never find in another's face,
A sea whose distance cannot be breached

Well Jesus kiss his mother's hands
Whispered, "Mother, still you tears,
For remember the soul of the universe
Willed a world and it appeared."

- Bruce Springsteen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find it interesting that Protestant Christianity stereotypically defines "in the world but not of it" quite literally, whereas Catholic Christianity tends to blur the distinction. Which is odd because they're the ones with convents and monasteries. At any rate, to declare that all things from a secular source are bad or evil is to deny that God can use anyone and anything to declare his truth and so bring glory to himself in all things.