Friday, February 23, 2007

"And If You Find Yourself in the Dark..."

Yesterday at the library I looked up from the computer I was using because I heard a mildly panicked voice from the front desk. Apparently an elderly lady had fallen, she had a handkerchief over her mouth, I'm not sure if she was bleeding. I tried not to give it too much attention, because I didn't want to get sucked into the situation.

The library has a homeless guy who sits in a chair most of the day and nods off or blows into his fingers or laughs to himself. I never talk to him, because he smells bad. And, I don't know what I'd talk to him about. I guess I could ask him his name, but no one else talks to him either, perhaps they would think bad of me talking to him.

My wife and I took a vacation last summer to Florida. We got to our hotel and due to a Priceline mishap, they only had one room available to us, it was one with a handicap accessible bathroom. We took the room, but I didn't want it. It was disturbing to me to be reminded of uncomfortable situations every time I went into the bathroom. I didn't want to think of anything troublesome on my vacation.

All of this goes to show what the filth of selfishness looks like. I can only assume that other people are like me. I've become aware lately of how much I choose to remove the hurting, sick, homeless people of the world from my life. I'm not sure why this is. Maybe I feel like my life is hard enough without adding any more difficulty to it by interacting with others who have hardships? I'm not sure that I have any good excuse, I think it's pretty much selfishness.

"Then the righteous will answer him, saying,

'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?
And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you?
And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?'

And the King will answer them,

'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'"
-Matt. 25:37-40

No comments: